--

--

---------------------

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Fried Potatoes - The Easy Way

We are a household of fried potato lovers.  Boiling up potatoes ahead of time in preparation for having fried potatoes doesn't seem that complicated.  And it's not.  The problem is now that homeschool is back in session, watching the pot of boiling potatoes so it doesn't boil over or the potatoes don't get over-cooked wastes precious minutes that should be used teaching reading and math lessons.

So I came up with a simple way to cook the potatoes that doesn't require me to hang out in the kitchen when I should really be attending to lessons.  I use my crockpot!


Step 1 - Wash potatoes
Step 2 - Slice potatoes in quarters the long way
Step 3 - Place in crockpot, drizzle with olive oil (about 1-2 T.), sprinkle with Kosher salt


 Step 4 - Cook on high for about 3 hours, stir once half way through

Here they are getting nicely done, cook time depends on the heat of your crockpot
Step 5 - Refrigerate until cool.
Step 6 - Slice as you wish, heat cast iron skillet on medium, melt butter, add potatoes and fry until desired crispness.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Enjoy!


A Few Tips

I make 5 pounds of potatoes, if you are making less, crockpot cooking time will decrease.

I get this started in the early morning so that I can get them in the refrigerator before lunch, then they have enough time to cool before making them for supper.

If fried potatoes aren't your thing, then serve the cooked potatoes as is with any toppings you like.  I'm thinking a taco potato bar would be a quick and easy lunch.  Serve the potatoes with any leftover taco meat, nacho cheese, lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, and sour cream.  Or how about loaded "baked" potato bar.  Serve with diced bacon, sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese or pepper jack, butter, and sour cream.  Oh, now I'm getting hungry.