--

--

---------------------

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Cranberry Blueberry Cake Muffins....(a recipe)

We are a muffin family.  But, not all muffins were created equal.  My family will attest to that.  In a house this full, we're bound to have differences when choosing the perfect muffin.  I, for one, want the chunkiest, nuttiest, fruitiest, full of whole grain goodness muffin I can get.  Others, not so much.  They prefer something more......boring, plain, simple.

The muffin recipe I'm sharing with you today is quite simple in it's ingredients, yet can be dressed up any way you'd like.  By varying the fruit used, you can create your perfect muffin--if you like fruity muffins, which I absolutely do.

Muffins can be a bit finicky.  Most muffin recipes call for mixing the dry ingredients and wet ingredients, separately, then adding the dry to the wet and mixing JUST until moistened.  Over mixing causes peaked, tough muffins.  This cake muffin recipe can't be messed up because it requires mixing until smooth, with no lumps.  And the muffins still turn out moist and tender.


Cranberry Blueberry Cake Muffins

2-3 cups fresh or frozen berries (I used 1 cup of each, frozen)
3 large eggs
1 cup oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Place eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, and buttermilk in bowl.  Beat until smooth.  Add flour, powder, soda, and salt and mix well until smooth.  Stir in fruit.  Spray or line 24 muffins cups,  Scoop batter into muffins cups.  Bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes until light golden and tops spring back when touched.  Makes 24 muffins.  You might notice that I use whole cranberries.  Save yourself time; even if a recipe calls for sliced or chopped cranberries, give whole cranberries a try.  We love the tartness of biting into a whole cranberry.




You might like

1 comment:

  1. I’m all out of muffins papers—can I bake this in loaf pans? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love chatting with my readers. So go ahead and comment to start the conversation.